Another day of making up my own question: A few excellent books I read this year.
- Atul Gawande, Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters In the End. A moving and fascinating study of old age, part journalism and part essay. The spouse lost his mother this year, and his father is in an assisted-living apartment now instead of in his own house in California, so this felt very relevant -- but of course it's always relevant. I'd recommend it to everyone.
- Daryl Gregory, Raising Stony Mayhall. Don't expect me to recommend a zombie book ever again, because generally it's a field in which I have zero interest. But one way to get my attention is to write the book from the POV of the zombie.
- Elisabeth Tova Bailey, The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating. Get this one on paper rather than in an e-book so you can enjoy the drawings. The author was bedridden with a mysterious illness, and someone brought her a snail. She didn't have the energy to do anything else, so she watched the snail. It's a great book.
- Gail Carson Levine, Ella Enchanted. Everyone already knows what this one is about, but it was a good sharp look at a fairy tale trope.
Go here to add your own question.
3. mific: Do you enjoy Christmas more, or less, now the kidlet's older?
4. armadillo1976: Dec 4. From the perspective of a parent of a big(ish) kid, what do you remember most/best from the time your kid was 1-2?
(Asking as a mom of a 1.5 year old, terrified that she is going to forget all the love and beauty and mess of these times...)
5. grammarwoman: what's a go-to comfort meal for you?
8. monanotlisa: What's the hardest thing to write for you, and how do you get around it and yet write it?
9. china_shop: Thoughts about writing original fic vs writing fanfic, whether it's different processes, different feelings (or the same process, and the same feelings), or whatever.
11. reginagiraffe: what was the best birthday present you ever got? (You can supply your own definition of "best".)
13. mific: If you had to give up one of your 5 senses (you know, to save Atlantis or Benton Fraser's life, or suchlike), which would it be and why?
16. zulu: best vacation/break you ever had?
18. kass: What do you enjoy most about parenting a kidlet of this age?
19. kass: what fannish character is bringing you the most joy right now?
27. muccamukk: Moments in canon that still emotionally resonate with you, many years later.